Sunday 2 October 2011

...

I have been debating for the last few days about whether or not to do this post; however the more I think about it the more I feel like I can, and want to. For those who have read my previous posts, you will know that I have wanted my blog to be predominately fashion based, but again the more I think about it, the more it makes sense to make it more personal and that I should focus on things that are important to me, in my life right now.
 As I was saying, about this post, I was debating on whether or not to do it, as it raises some highly sensitive issues. I do not want to offend by raising any memories that any one has, but this is important as it is the only way that I feel that I can express it right now. Here it goes...

  Did you know that more than one in three people in their lifetime (UK) will be diagnosed with some form of cancer?
  I didn't until I researched it today. On Saturday, I found out that a family member had been diagnosed with lung cancer; ever since its been a downward spiral. Monday, we were informed that it had spread to the liver. The following day we were told it had spread to the bones. 
  Writing, even thinking about 'cancer' is so surreal. Don't get me wrong I have known people to have cancer, but until now, it's never seemed 'real'. Another family member was diagnosed with skin cancer this year. They are currently undergoing treatment, with steroid creams etc. 
  At this time in my life, as well as others, I wouldn't  have dreamt of this. To know someone to be diagnosed with cancer, like others just regarded it as something that happened to other people, not those you know. But people are egocentric at this time in their life. This is not me saying that I, or anyone else for that matter, are self absorbed. However we are all obsessed with what does not matter in life. For example: I love clothes, fashion gives me a buzz; as does writing. It releases me from the days that I am overly stressed with school. Such as trying to get good grades so that I can go to uni, or worrying about what a friend may or may not have said. None of this is important though. What is important is the quality of life we live. To be struck by an illness which is potentially life threatening is quite frankly terrifying, even if it is not you that has been directly diagnosed yourself.
  Nothing else has been discussed as of yet, such as treatment methods, but its just a fact of waiting I suppose. 

No comments:

Post a Comment